Street Outreach and Pre-school Support Volunteer
As a Street Outreach and Pre-school Support volunteer, you will work in one of the two markets we serve and help create a safe space where pre-school children (ages 3 – 5) can enjoy educational and age-appropriate activities, improve their motor skills and develop basic hygienic habits. We are looking for energetic and enthusiastic volunteers who love working with children and can take initiative.
- Collect the children from their market stalls at the beginning of the session and walk them back at the end.
- Engage with 3 -5 children to ensure that they successfully finish each activity.
- Greet the children’s families and establish a relationship with them.
- Participate actively in all the activities of the program and the institution.
- Ensure that the children wash their hands and brush their teeth.
- Help in the planning and preparation of educational and recreational activities.
- Refer any concerns about a child’s safety and well being to social/health services in CENIT.
- Inform the street educators of the problems, necessities, opportunities and difficulties that exist in the development of the program activities.
- Minimum commitment of two months.
- Basic Spanish.
- Experience working with children.
- Ability to work within a team and motivate volunteers and the children.
- Commitment longer than two months.
- Intermediate or advanced Spanish.
- Creative skills in music (dancing or singing) or the arts.
Street Outreach and Social Work Intern
As a Street Outreach and Social Work Intern, you will work alongside Ecuadorian social workers in disadvantaged communities facing social and economic challenges. This is a great opportunity for those interested in a career in social work, education, international development or a related field.
- Accompany, visit and support families in the orientation of services that are offered by CENIT and other institutions.
- Give families information on services offered by CENIT and other institutions.
- Assist social worker with relevant tasks, including research of resources for the beneficiary population, analysis of case notes and program archives, paperwork completion, and the application of technical instruments.
- Systemize the process for the tracking and analysis of cases and develop methods to retain institutional knowledge.
- Design and run workshops focused on human rights for community leaders and families that work in the markets.
- Plan and execute games and cultural activities for children, adolescents and families.
- Serve as the liaison between CENIT´s Social Work Area and the Street Outreach program.
- Undergraduate degree in social work, psychology, education, international relations or related social science field.
- Minimum commitment of 4 months; 6 months or longer preferred.
- Intermediate Spanish required; advanced Spanish preferred.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team.
- Strong organizational and cross-cultural communication skills.
- Good empathy and listening skills.
- Strong level of commitment to working with disadvantaged and low-income populations.
- Previous experience working with children and families in vulnerable and at-risk situations.
We ask each volunteer for a one-time contribution of $100. In exchange, you will receive daily lunch, a CENIT T-shirt and the support of a full-time volunteer coordinator. Your contribution also supports the administrative costs of the volunteer office and helps sustain our programs.
How to apply to these positions:
Interested applicants: Please inquire or send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.